Thursday, July 24, 2008

Thurs 7/24 bayway 6:20RR/6:30R

Holy Hell,

I thought we were all in for a nice mellow style bayway.  I should
have been tipped off something was amiss when the first riders pulling
past Martha's arrived about 5 minutes faster than is the norm.  I
scarfed down the last bit of coffee cake and tossed out most of my tea
and caught Trinh's wheel just as he hit Bayshore.  We cruised up
toward Paul ave. and I noticed there were some sweet bikes rolling
around I don't think I've seen before of the Ti and Carbon
variety( Moots, Parlee I'm talking to you among others ).  We hit the
final climb and I hung on Lorenzo's wheel for the duration(damn he has
some fast climbing cadence).  We hit the light and rolled past the
Bayshore Caltrain stop.  I believe at that point there were 2 off the
front, Lorenzo and Hobe.  I paced with them for a bit and decided I
shouldn't kill myself just yet so started to drop back.  Trinh blew
past me followed by a rider on a red Bridgestone( or was it a Ritchey)
with panniers.  I grabbed the panniered riders wheel and cruised for
maybe half a K.  Not carrying anything like that load of cargo I
sheepishly moved to the front thinking I could help him out, my fellow
steel framed brethren in the non-space bike struggle to stay afloat.
I also thought wtf, didn't someone say mellow?  I could see the 3 tiny
figures ahead and hoped to bridge up to them but never quite seemed
able to bridge the gap.  Once we got to the stretch of parking lots
the sprinklers seemed to give the lead group pause and I managed to
catch up.  Trinh was slowly pedaling and I think I said the only thing
I could think of as I passed, something like 'brutal'.  From there I
caught the 2 leaders at the light right around the time the FrenchGuy
showed up ( sorry man, i forgot your name but you had full FDJ kit the
first time i met you so you're forever FrenchGuy in my head ).  A
couple lights later FG asked about Scott's whereabouts and someone
said he was in the chase group chillaxin (doh!  that sounds sweet).
From here on out Hobe pretty much dragged us all along at around 22MPH
with the other 3 of us taking token pulls at the front.  We got a
brief draft from a bus around SFO and continued on rolling past the
BART meetup at 7:25.  Once we hit midway 3 of us stopped to refill our
bottles, FrenchGuy went on ahead.  While Hobe was taking a natural
break Lorenzo came over and we both agreed that we were going at an
absurd rate of speed and agreed that it was about all we could to to
suck Hobe's wheel.  We mused about dropping back We headed out and
once we got to feral cat way all animals must have heard the whistling
of the Hobinator up front and all but 2 wisely kept out of sight.  We
took the detour and returned to the normal route on Maple about a
block after we reabsorbed FrenchGuy.  Once FrenchGuy turned off Hobe
disappeared, Lorenzo said something about Hobe having dropped his
water bottle on the tracks, we theorized he got tired of dragging our
slow asses along and likely opted to bopping onto 101 for the
remainder.  For much of the ride in my head i was debating whether
Hobe is more like a turbine or just a big diesel engine(in Phil
Liggett jargon).  From there on out it was a quick turn past the marsh
and EPA.  I turned off at my usual spot and got to work 18 minutes
faster than any other time previously.

I show a moving speed of 19.7, moving time of 2:03(from Martha's).




ksenya wrote:

the rest of the crew was not aiming for a 2 hr record breaking speed, 5 more minutes in martha's would have gotten you into that contingent.
uneventful ride, marius again bore no gloves or socks on his hands but lost no pedal cranks this time.
the industrial way was taken to bypass both the construction and the bridge to nowhere.

since apparently the 4k rule has been extended to 40k, i did the most chillaxin of all, but still made it to breakfast at no name.

No comments: